On Nov 1, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Joe,
>
> The second choice seems more optimal, with focus on preserving the forwarding
> and neglect of the OO.o mailing lists.

This is your focus. I am focused on the mailing lists, too.

> There is no intention to support the mailing lists and folks are being
> invited
> to move to lists created by the podling as we speak.  No automatic
> transportation or preservation of subscription lists is intended, nor are the
> archives being preserved by the podling.

Both choices preserve all of the old OOo MLs as forwarders to the new AOOo(i)
MLs.

This may include securityteam@oo.o to ooo-security@i.a.o.

> If some sort of rescue is achieved for (selective) OOo lists, that would be a
> separate effort and have to be sustained by PPMC resources, as you say.

Yes, you may have noticed Rob and Kay's efforts to move people. They also
mapped existing lists into an AOOo ML pattern. This can easily become a static
map for the forwarders. I would say that the PPMC is engaged, it will be in
people's own interest. I don't see a problem finding the resources to complete
this part.

If we go with the first choice it is managed by Infra.

If we go with the second choice is is managed by the PPMC.

And this is the choice for the PPMC to make.

Choice two is on a jail. What could be on that? Will it be highly available?
What happens when it goes down?

Choice one is a more highly available, scalable, supportable choice. We should
be sure that preserving an overall mapping is worth the effort and tradeoffs.
Without volunteers to maintain the "jail" and forwarders that Joe will setup
the decision is easy - choice one.

That said I appreciate your energy. There is still the legal question. Once
that is answered and there is a consensus or vote we can proceed.

Best Regards,
Dave