Hi eric,

On 22.11.2011 10:58, eric b wrote:
Hi,

Still diff'ing 3.2.x and 3.3.+ source, code, I'm analysing the new view
overlay manager. Can someone tell me who implemented it (sd) ?

Probably Andre or Armin ?

Yes, from me, but it's not so new. It allows to have an 'overlay' on the edit views so that you can show/hide interaction objects (all kinds, e.g. the green markers, but also whole SdrObjects during interaction) quickly. There is a buffering and non-buffering implementation, only the buffering obne does use extra VDevs to achieve cheap repaints.

It is also used for the new transparent cursors in Writer and Calc, for example. Another side effect is that all paints foir the edit views are buffered now which e.g. for Writer made much old code to avoid flicker obsolete (and avoids flicker completely). It also speeded up repaints (also e.g. Writer) remarkably.

Both effects (buffering and fast overlay repaints) are configurable using the registry, so less capable systems can switch all that off for less memory footprint.

HTH!

Thanks in advance,
Eric Bachard

sincerely,