Hi Pedro, *

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 07:52:50AM -0800, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> > > I think we should keep the non copyleft dictionaries
> > > for reference. I think that leaves us with English,
> > > Russian, Croatian and I have an old italian version
> > > kindly donated by Gianluca to the MySpell
> > > "pseudo-project" @Apache-Extras.
> >
> > I don't think that this is a good idea.  I think that
> > it would be quite confusing to the user when not all
> > dictionaries come from the same source.
> >

> Then we can move all the dictionaries to Apache-extras
> and build the extensions there

it is useless to move the dictionaries there.
Dictionaries are developed by individuals/entities outside OOo,
they were never developed inside the OOo source tree. I'm not sure
what was the procedure (sure Gianluca can comment), but it seems like
these dictionaries were updated on request, not developed by OOo.

And on the other side:
* some dictionaries are incomplete (like the Spanish case)
* there may be cases where there are more dictionaries out there for the
  same language. Why should AOO favor one? The user should be the one
  who chooses which dictionary to install

> OK ..that's solved for now but won't hunspell be
> shipped with the dictionaries?.

what do you mean by "hunspell"?
You might be mixing:

* the dictionaries, we have three kind:
  - spell checking dictionaries
  - hyphenation dicts.
  - thesaurus dicts.

* the external libraries:
  - hunspell - cat. B, off by default
  - hyphen - cat. B, off by default
  - mythes - cat. A, on by default

* the UNO components, they are the internal AOO code, interfacing with
  the three libraries mentioned above:
  - spell checker component
  - hyphenator component
  - thesaurus component

If you do not compile AOO with --enable-hunspell and --enable-hypen, you
don't enable the externals libraries (building them or linking against
system libs.), so the spell checker component and the hyphenation component
are not build == these features won't be present in your AOO, even if you
install the dictionaries.
The thesaurus component is always enabled, it's category A.

For the official binary release AOO can ship category B libraries in
binary form, so for a release AOO can (and should) be compiled with
--enable-hunspell and --enable-hyphen until someone finds a replacement.
An official binary release without the three linguistic components is
a NO-GO (IMO).

A binary official release without dictionaries may be annoying for the
end users, but there are alternatives (like (miss-)using the first start
wizard to invite the user to download dictionary-extensions for his/her
language, etc.).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile