On 2011-12-13, at 10:43 , Rob Weir wrote:

> This may be a bit hard to imagine, since OOo never really developed
> this kind of ecosystem. This was due to license and control issues.
> But we have the opportunity now to encourage a healthier ecosystem.

You are in error. Actually, OOo did develop numerous such ecosystems where one
could donate funds or contribute work. These were autonomously managed, for the
most part, by the NLC projects. But we also used a central dyad, SPI and
TeamOOo, and the contributions were from users.

We also had many related businesses around the world depending upon and making
money from OOo code. Key examples are in Malaysia and region; India, but also
Brazil, Spain and so on. A lot moved to LibreOffice. But the point is ODF and
the code that implements it.

That said, I would very much like to re-establish the ecosystem that we created
over 10 years of work—that's why I am a little annoyed that you so cavalierly
dismissed what we have done, but I'm sure I misinterpreted and misread and
didn't read right what you wrote and my apologies, Rob, for being impatient and
no doubt unjustifiably indignant—but anyway, I'd very much like to recapture
the work.

For reference, the usual links:

http://support.openoffice.org/ lists many and points to others
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments

These two point to support options, most of which are out of date, and to those
who have notified us (or we've been told about) who are significant users of
OOo. This list does not really include LibreOffice or Symphony or other
OOo-related implementations, such as EuroOffice (I think that's its name) and
so on. And there are many such.

louis