I'm reluctant to add any chaff to the threads that are running around here.

Yet, related to Jean's point, it is important to internalize that here in
Apache territory, forking is a feature, not a failure.

It might be a failure of someone's ambitions, but that is for them to sort out.
 Adopting an Open Source development and licensing model has built-in
consequences.  It is the nature of the beast.

If there is some measure that failed to be achieved, it would be useful to know
whether that is *our* measure and what are the lessons learned.  And forking
will remain a feature.

 - Dennis

OTHER "OT" REFLECTIONS

Under the Corporate Governance that nurtured OpenOffice.org, there was
considerable investment and especially undertakings provided with paid staffs
and budgets (including, especially, marketing perhaps).  There was also
ownership of the copyright.

Now, by virtue of the copyright ownership, the Apache OpenOffice project is
possible.

But the absence of the corporate governance and the resources and facilities it
provided, there is much that needs to be backfilled or recovered in some other
manner.  Some of those missings (dare I mention marketing again) involved
spending money and it is in the nature of the Apache Software Foundation that
such spending by ASF is rather (dare I say "extremely") unlikely, and
project-external efforts are the alternative.  That is likewise the case for
the way Team OpenOffice.org was connected to OpenOffice.org in the past, along
with other "NGOs" that collected donations for whatever purpose.  And if
developers here have paid support, it is not from Apache, but external sources.
 So be it.

There are different opportunities for down-/side-stream undertakings that are
prepared to play nice with Apache releases and the Apache OpenOffice project.
It takes out-of-the-box creative thinking.  Here, past is not so much prologue.