On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2011 3:16 AM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> > On Dec 27, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Y'all
> > >
> > > Would it be better or worse to have "working-group" level IRC channels?
> > > E.g. people translating documentation into Urdu will have specific
> > > questions that a smaller, more focused group would be good for. People
> > > working on developing the website code, etc..
> > > There are already too many mailing lists to keep track of.  IMO.  I
> think
> > > it would be helpful to have focused IRC channels for when one is
> actually
> > > working on a piece of this.  I have been helped by such groups in the
> past,
> > > and felt as if my measly contributions were useful in that setting.  I
> have
> > > been finding it very hard to get my teeth into something on this
> project,
> > > in its birthing pains, as have a few others, so I have just read as
> much as
> > > I could and kept my lip zipped.
> >
> > As long as these are working groups. Just keep in mind that the list will
> need to be
> > informed of substantive decisions.
> >
> > So, excellent idea. Let's see if there are any objections.
>
> IRC is not a good medium for decision making. It requires synchronous
> activity which is not realistic in a distributed project. Furthermore it
> does not provide an archive and this can leaf to confusion over why a given
> direction wad taken.
>
> It seems strange to say "there are too many mailing lists so let's create
> IRC channels instead" (paraphrase). I don't really see how that solves the
> problem, in fact it makes it worse. People need to be aware of yet another
> communication channel (one which, to use effectively needs are fair bit of
> technical know-how) in order to participate fully and thus the community
> becomes fractured. Fewer channels with good subjects (and tags) are
> generally better for inclusion.
>
> That being said, some projects do use IRC as a compliment to the mailing
> list. They are not official decision making channels. Proposals can be made
> and shared with the list. Lazy consensus can still be used and IRC can, in
> some communities, be a convenient way of getting some quick feedback,
> especially in a targeted group as is bring suggested here.
>
> However, IRC only works if there are enough people online at any one time,
> so the question is really "who would populate it?"
>
> Ross
>

> > I have avoided doing this myself, but I can see how a group would reduce
> the chatter on ooo-dev.
> >
> > Reading the ooo-issues and ooo-commits MLs is how to watch what is really
> happening. (except for the MWiki and Forums.)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >

> > > Wolf
> > >
> > > --
> [...]

I can certainly see the irony in my suggestion, however I didn't just come
up with it out of the blue. The Evergreen-ILS.org project manages to
archive their IRC transcripts.  Luckily, a lot of the developers on their
main channel are in the same time zone - This helps.  They do community
meetings on IRC as well and these are archived.  Evergreen-ILS is a very
small project compared to AOO.