On 2012-02-01 9:01 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Shane Curcuru<a...@shanecurcuru.org>  wrote:
No, that website and any related websites are not affiliated with the Apache
Software Foundation, the Apache OpenOffice podling, nor with the
OpenOffice.org software product.

We strongly recommend that you do not do business with the owners of that
website.

Past releases of OpenOffice.org software products are available at:

  http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

Note that while OpenOffice.org the product does not have any future release

Products don't have release plans.  Projects do.   If you see the code
starting to have a release plan of its then own please enter a defect
in Bugzilla so we can fix any emergent intelligence that got into the
code.

plans, this Apache OpenOffice project plans to use most of the code from
that product to create a great new - and always free - office productivity
suite.  You can learn more about this podling's plans for the future Apache

This is a very tortured way of expressing some very simple facts that
should be known by route by every PPMC member:

Sorry about my possibly convoluted phrasing if anyone besides Rob was confused by it, but my message was primarily focused at people not on the PPMC, and on anyone reviewing this thread in the archives. Similarly, besides the phrasing, I would be astounded if any PPMC members weren't aware of all this, and I see that another committer here already answered the user's question while I was writing my reply.

1) Oracle contributed the OpenOffice.org source code and trademarks to Apache

Really? I thought Oracle granted a license of most of the OpenOffice.org source code to Apache, not all of it. If they had granted a license of all the source code, we'd probably be about a month further along in the schedule, maybe? But we've done amazing work filling in the pieces and making the current Apache OpenOffice releases work while ensuring we only use permissively licensed code.

- Shane

2) We have an project here at Apache working on the next version of OpenOffice.

I'd encourage us not to try to be too clever in expressing these basic
facts.   In particular, we are not creating a "new office productivity
suite".  If we were it would be called version 1.0, not 3.4.  In fact
everyone involved in this project has been consistent in saying that
our initial Apache release would be a modest completion of the earlier
OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta.  So I have no idea why you would feel
entitled to start delivering your own, conflicting marketing message
on this point.

OpenOffice product here on their blog:

  http://blogs.apache.org/ooo/

Reminder: if the domain name does not end in "apache.org" or
"openoffice.org", then the domain you're looking at is almost certainly not
affiliated with the ASF or this podling, nor with OpenOffice.org.

Note also that Apache projects are *always* offered for free download. If
you ever see an Apache (or OpenOffice.org) product offered with strings
attached, or where payment is required, please consider coming to an
apache.org website to get a free copy.  There are companies that sell
support contracts related to Apache software products, or training, or the
like - but you should never have to pay to download and install an Apache
software product.

Thanks for the tip.  It's likely we'll be contacting that domain owner to
complain about their confusing links using our logos and products.

- Shane Curcuru
  VP, Brand Management
  The Apache Software Foundation