On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> Louis,
>
> Are you suggesting that extensions, the format of .oxt files, and the means
> by which extensions can integrate into operation of an ODF processor should
> be the subject of the ODF specification or some other interoperability
> agreement?
>
> At the moment it is all OpenOffice.org-specific under whatever variations
> arise as part of Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice divergence.

Also, some OpenOffice extensions are explicitly to support other
formats.  For example, there is an EPUB extension, and we've talked
about moving the Wordperfect support into its own extension.

However, the template repository is ODF and a well-written template
should be generic enough to work with different ODF editors.  But
extensions are tied to the application's automation interface, and
that differers from editor to editor.

Another approach would be to consider what types of applications could
be done as operations directly on the document format, using something
like the ODF Toolkit.  "Extensions" done that way might be made more
portable, since they could have fewer dependencies on the app, e.g.,
as little as just being handed a stream for the current document.