On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Juergen Schmidt <
> > jogischm...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> release
> >> of

> it
> >> questions

> "Summary
> >> will
> >> aggregation"

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Summary+of+Apache+OpenOffice+3.4+IP+Review+Activities

> topics,
> >>>

> >> You have probably missed this
> >>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Release+FAQ
> >>
> >> We have started a similar page and I would suggest that we consolidate
> >> these 2 pages immediately to avoid duplicated work and confusion.
> >>

> > I think they are subtly different. Your page is a summary of the release
> > package, what is included, what different directories do, etc.  It is
> good
> > for someone who has download the package, unzipped it, and is looking at
> > the files.
>
> I think that Marvin and Juergen have had productive conversations on
> general@i.a.o

Yes, that is part of what informed the choice of material to present.  But
it is worth looking beyond that.  The old saying is "every new class of
testers finds a new class of bugs".  The same could be said of reviewers.
Marvin found one class of issues. Other IPMC members will have their own
particular interests and areas of concern.

> Here is what I would want to see.
>
> (1) BUILD instructions.  An accurate and complete description of the build
> of the binaries from source including how much time it takes on various
> platforms. This would help an IPMC plan how much time they will need to
> check the release. This is about the mechanics. Also, how to run the RAT
> report.
>
> (2) README. This can be the description of the release, dependencies, SGA,
> RAT excludes and why, etc.
>
> (3) NOTICE and LICENSE will need to be at the head of the tree in the
> standard location. Additions for the Binary packages should end up in the
> appropriate place in those packages after the build. I expect that these
> may differ slightly depending on the target platform?
>

> > The page I started is more about the process we followed, what we did,
> what
> > we removed, the decisions we made, and why. So it is more about the logic
> > of what we did.  Your page is more about the end results.
> >
> > But it probably makes sense to combine these somehow, I agree.
>
> Yes and no. I think that Rob is leaning in on the README and the other
> Wiki page is about To Dos. For the release, I think that there are
> different aspects of the project's contents that need to be explained in
> the each of four contexts.

For now I've cross-linked the two pages.

-Rob