On 4/4/12 9:14 AM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
On 04/04/12 00:14, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
On Wednesday, 4. April 2012 at 01:08, drew wrote:
On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 17:00 -0300, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:20:58PM +0200, FR web forum wrote:
One of the volunteers on the ES forum expressed concern about the
Oracle Report Builder (ORB) extension not working on AOO builds: it
seems that the extension installs, but reports previously created
with
it do not run.

it is indeed a missing feature but we can't change it for now. But if
somebody is interested to build it as an extension and host it
somewhere
else we will give support here how to do that.

Why Oracle did not donate this OXT (and other like PDF Import)?
ASF could not contact them to talk about?

The code is under the software grant. The issue here is that these
extensions rely on GPL libraries, though all related code is now under
ALv2:

* PDF Import:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/sdext/source/pdfimport/

That is, someone has to build them (and maintain them) as external
projects.

No not really. The problem are the dependent libs as already pointed
out. There is no or no easy replacement for this external stuff that
is license compatible. Not nice and we would love to have alternatives
If volunteers will provide an alternative implementation that would be
Apache compatible then we will continue the support and include it as
bundled extensions.

The pdfimport could use pdfbox, however my understanding is that even with
a replacement the feature was not really complete without OCR
capabilities, (yes
tesseract) but well.. it involves real work(TM).

The other libraries would be excellent examples of how to do extensions.

Hmm... just for reference, I started looking "OOo Extensions for
Dummies" guide
on google and I got to this page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/API/Samples

It has a link to the contrib dir in the old SVN server. We haven't
replicated that
in the Apache SVN. Thankfully the files are in ooo-legacy-svn in
apache-extras
in case we lose the original SVN.

so much cleanup work necessary and a lot of room for improvements ;-)

Juergen