On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org>wrote:

> @Kay,
>
> The main problem is that JPEG is a lossy format and it is designed for
> photographic images, not line drawings. So font and sharp-edge fuzziness is
> always a problem.  Furthermore, modification of JPEGs (change of scale,
> resolution, orientation, etc.,) just accumulates more degradation.
>
> PNGs are better, at the resolution of the PNG, but also suffer under
> modification because of rasterization (they are still bitmaps).
>
> Someplace, it is necessary to find a quality vector-graphic version so
> that lossless PNGs can be produced at whatever resolutions are required;
> the graphic should be used in anything to be viewed at various resolutions,
> projected, and also printed, as for publishable documentation, PDFs, etc.
>  There can also be adjusting for features that do not scale proportionally
> (especially fonts) and that have difficulty when their clean resolution is
> finer than the target pixel spacing permits.  That's usually why even
> families of vector-graphic forms are desired for different target size
> ranges.
>
> Aside from all of that, I think the Orb1 as now presented is the ideal
> form, although there could be some tweaking as just noticed on the wiki
> page by Kevin.  I don't agree with the capitalization as "APACHE" though.
>  The balance on the current form, with "Apache" seems fine, especially at
> web-page resolutions and scale.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> "Anyone who thinks protocol is unnecessary has never tried to make friends
> with a cat."
>  - attributed to Lazarus Long

Dennis and others --

I'm STILL hoping that the original creator --
Michael Acevedo

might be in contact to change both the size (we need somewhat bigger) and
format.

Again, I am definitely NOT a graphics creator and my skills are quite
limited in this regard.

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
Robert Heinlein