On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We at SourceForge have worked the last ten days to line-up dedicated
> infrastructure (including CDN services) to support the upcoming AOO
> download serving test.

Excellent!

> To advance on a test swing of traffic from Apache's existing download
> service over to SourceForge.net, we need a member of the Infra team as
> our point-of-contact for the test and we commit to kickoff of testing
> within 48 hours after we make initial contact.

What kind of testing are you looking for?

Right now, the main entry point for user downloads are one of these pages:

http://www.openoffice.org/

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

http://www.openoffice.org/download/ (redirected from
http://download.openoffice.org)

We (the AOO PMC) control the contents of these pages.  We don't need to
involve Infra to make modifications there.

The pages currently route the download requests to the MirrorBrain network.

If I understand the 3.4 mirror plan correctly, we would have two download
links, probably at the topmost level, which would be www.openoffice.org and
maybe download.openoffice.org.

If you want to prototype something to test this with the legacy 3.3
downloads, that sounds OK with me.  However, I'm not very familiar with the
logic in that page, and how it determines what file to download based on
platform and locale.

Is there someone on the AOO project who understands this logic, and how we
can modify these pages to offer a link to SF for downloads?

Our Site Operations director, Jacob Moorman, has already sent a

> private email with his Apache Infra contacts (from the AOO Extensions
> cutover) asking who will manage the traffic cutover.
>
> We look forward to advancing to the test phase.

Yes.   If we can test with the 3.3 legacy downloads that will give us some
greater confidence that it will also work with the 3.4 downloads.

-Rob