On Apr 6, 2012, at 7:17 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Is there a reason why the page should mix together copyright
>>> statements on the website as well as license statements on the
>>> releases?  Especially since this link appears on every page, it is
>>> confusing.
>>
>> Yes, we are still distributing the legacy code.
>>

> That is not a very good reason, IMHO.  I think we should put the
> legacy license prominent on the legacy download page.  But I don't see
> why it should be in the footer of *every* openoffice.org web page.
>

>>> If it were up to me I'd have the site copyright statement only here,
>>> and put the release license link on the download pages only.
>>
>> The download page links to the license page. Maybe we need two license pages.
>>

> At least three, I think:
>
> 1) legacy LPGL for where we offer downloads of the legacy release
>
> 2) ALv2 for where we offer downloads of the new Apache releases
>
> 3) A site copyright/license page on all pages, explaining the
> copyright on the website contents itself.
>
> But I think it makes zero sense to have page that are not dealing with
> releases at all have a link that talks confusingly about the license
> on "releases".  Remember, through the magic of Google, a user could
> end up entering any random page on the website, to find the answer to
> their questions.

+1.

Make links in the appropriate places.

(1) is linked from downloads.
(2) is linked from where?
(3) is linked from template/footer.html - The site license should have the
current /license.html url.

- Split the current page in two new pages - legacy_license.html and
package_license.html
- Edit license.html into the site license file.

Go ahead and make it so.

Regards,
Dave