On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 16:09 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> Out of curiosity I scanned our ooo-site files for Google Analytics
>> tracking code.  Much to my surprise I found that 15 different GA
>> accounts were in use, tracking different portions of the website.  Not
>> 15 different pages, but 15 different independent users who had
>> inserted GA tracking code into the website and associated it with 15
>> different GA accounts.
>>
>> (I only checked the static files, not the wiki or forums.)
>>
>> If you recall, when I initially raised the suggestion of adding GA
>> tracking to the website, there was general concern about privacy and
>> treating data derived from GA carefully, and keeping it under PPMC
>> control.  So it is safe to assume that having such info going to 15
>> unknown parties would also not meet with the PPMC's approval, even
>> though this evidently has been occurring for quite some time.
>>
>> So, I've gone ahead and fixed this.  I've made a commit that unifies
>> all the legacy tracking under a single GA ID.  As discussed before I'm
>> happy to add any PPMC member (or Mentor) to the GA account, if given
>> your Google login ID.
>>
> Hi Rob
>
> Great, glad you did all of that.
>
> It is already live on the main page.
>
> I don't see a privacy statement - which I think should of happened at
> the same time.

Well, it should have happened months or years ago whenever the 15
people added that code.

In any case, I did add a privacy policypage, which you can see linked here:

http://www.openoffice.org/license.html

> I suppose that requires an update to the footer, not sure I know how to
> do that - but it may be in the mail list here (I'll look)
>
> Otherwise, I really think we either add the privacy statement now or
> pull the GA injection till it is ready. It's a little thing, but not one
> with much wiggle room IMO.
>
> off to search the mail archive for instructions :)

Well, you see what we have.   I think it is sufficient though it does
require an extra click to find.  If we're willing to do a big build of
the entire site, it can be made cleaner by editing
ooo-site/templates/footer.html so there is a "privacy" link directly
from the footer.  That is what I did on the podling site.   But we
would probably want to coordinate that, to see if there are other
site-wide changes we can trigger at the same time.