Hi raphael,

having not much time to spare, I wanted to do a simple think to promote AOO
on facebook, the way everybody does that on facebook. Therefore I went to
the facebook group and thought I'd "like" it. Well, this doesn't seem to
work with a group. Then I began to think again.

Though I don't want to question the usefulness of a facebook GROUP, it is
not the first and best thing to do on facebook, I think - at least from a
marketing perspective.

Please compare these facebook pages:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/OpenOfficeorg/153010651492897?ref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Apache-OpenOffice/209053572542795

https://www.facebook.com/pages/OpenOfficeorg/252334251512786

Apparently, there is work to do to present AOO in a concise, unified way on
facebook. A facebook GROUP is for discussion mainly. You need membership in
the group, you need to be accepted. A normal facebook user, who wants to
"like", i.e. express her interest in, enthusiasm about, or support for
Apache OpenOffice, does not need and will not want membership in a group.

While a facebook group is certainly nice to have, presentation on facebook
is a different kind of thing. At present, there are several ways or forums
to discuss Apache OpenOffice, just another discussion group in just another
social network may be ok, but not a pressing thing.

On facebook, Apache OpenOffice should at least have a good presentational
page, a place to come to for information and to "like" it, so your facebook
friends see that you like AOO. That's the way facebook promotion really
works.

Kind regards,
Hans Zybura