It's tricky to find these because they are not shown or linked on the page
itself, even though they have been uploaded as attachments.

I notice that the vector-graphic versions don't render so well when displayed
with IE9.  In the transition vectorized logos [1],  - the diffused shadow and
transition background render as solid with no diffusion or transparency.  For
Ian's version, the shadow under the ball is not diffuse but the lighting on the
ball is closer to the expected form (in IE9).

In all views of Ian's versions, the shadow under the ball is as if the ball is
suspended above the surface rather than resting on it.  Also, the shadow has a
hard outline and is a single tone in some viewers, but is diffused in Google
Chrome.  The reflection at the top of the orb is unreal, as if the surface is
different, rather than there simply being a diffuse light source above or
behind the orb.  In this case, IE9 renders it better.  Chrome renders it as if
it was a hatch cover on the orb! (an edge shows around the lighter area on the
top part of the orb.

Compare with rasterized versions of the orb, such as the Approved Logo large
version at section 5 on the page itself,
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals>.  I think
the lighting on that orb is unnatural too, though not so distracting.  It is
also the lighting of the orb that goes back to OpenOffice.org 3.3.0, unnatural
or not.

It may be that those effects are available in vector graphics only by using 3D
modeling of the orb and its lighting.  Likewise for the defocusing that works
in the transitional rasterized logo, [1].  It is going to be a challenge to
find an SVG that renders consistently.  It may be necessary to pick a tool
where it works as needed and scaled raster versions are made where the export
preserves the appearance.  (Even a screen capture from a rendering of the
vector graphic could be used, if the vector-graphic rendering is successful.)

That's all I can tell by a comparative inspection of the rendered images.

 - Dennis