On May 4, 2012, at 9:00 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Jürgen Lange <j...@juergen-lange.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello Kay,
>>
>> +1
>>
>> This is a good idea.
>>
>> Jürgen
>>
>> Am 04.05.2012 00:59, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>
>> Just a quick philosophical questions for the upcoming 3.4 download.
>>>
>>> Right now, as I relayed in a previous message, I commented out ALL the
>>> language entries for which we have do not have packs available on our
>>> Apache mirror setup. What this means is that folks with a language string
>>> identifier which we are no longer supporting will probably end up on the
>>> "other.html" page, which is in English.
>>>
>>> Another option would be to setup the language array by placing them back
>>> in
>>> the process, and,  instead of commenting them out, indicate through one of
>>> the flags already available that the release for the language is NOT
>>> available on the mirror system, as many of them were already. Folks will
>>> then be sent back to their current native language site. There, of course,
>>> they will not find an update, but they won't be any worse off than they
>>> are
>>> now in some respects.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this? Is the latter alternative more desirable -- or not.

Some NL sites have DLs, but most do not. Rob has listed the few that do many of
which do have AOO versions.

If none of the user's langs are available then there are several choices.

(1) other.html. Their version isn't there. If they want AOO 3.4 in another
language fine. Is that the first choice?

(2) legacy/index.html. WIll this work if the most recent legacy is what they
are looking for?

If the language is missing from 3.4, I think it makes sense to write a special
non-button text warning above that offers the legacy.

"We are sorry but your language, XXXX, is not yet available in the current
version. Click the <Legacy Button> to locate a version of OpenOffice.org 3.3 or
earlier in your language."

Regards,
Dave