On 05/13/12 09:10, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
Hi Pedro,

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 08:24:00PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
To respond your points, which are perfectly reasonable, in the
case of these last two big changes:

1) The code builds on FreeBSD-amd64, which is my dev. platform.
2) The code has been in use for a while on FreeBSD and/or Debian
Linux for a while. I was very careful to choose only compatible
updates.
3) I did my best to check the specific functionality that may be
affected: it is unlikely I can catch all the use-cases but doing
such changes early in development will help detect any
remaining issue.
We have QA experts here ;) The idea behind my mail was: identify where
the libraries you are updating is used, then ask the QA people if they
can perform some tests (or ask here in the list for testing volunteers).
For people to test functionality, you must tell them first where/what to
test.

Ahh.. OK.. so we are in the same "channel", because that was the
reason for the [heads up] tag :). I do want the Lucene change tested
on Windows: specifically for looking up long paths in the help system.

The old port had an awful hack that requires an effort to update: in
general adding system independent hacks in Java code is not good
so I want to know if that extra effort is needed at all.

For example, with apache commons, I have no idea where this can be used,
opengrok suggests in the Report Builder (we don't build it anymore) and
the Wiki Publisher (this extension is not installed by default with the
office, and AFAIK we didn't upload a new version on the extensions
repository).

Those are used for logging and http access in extensions, however,
I am not worried about Apache Commons. I only updated lang
and codec which are used by http-client: the updated versions have
been in use in FreeBSD's ports for a long time and I verified the
changelogs of both updated to make sure there were no surprises
like deprecated APIs.

In conclusion, for the third step, we should identify where the code is
used, ask for QA volunteers telling them what to test.

Hm ... I guess I will have to join the QA list in addition to the heads-up.

Pedro.