From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamil...@acm.org]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 18:17
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Windows Install Issues (was RE: Linux install issues)

@Kay,

Yes, that installation-guide page is very out of date.

Did you ever look at this page:
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Win-en-x86-Setup>.

I have additional clean screen shots, all using the released Apache OpenOffice
3.4.0, and I need to update those images and the related remarks where there is
now a difference.  They could be used for a how-to, as opposed to the QA
analysis, which I need to update with the new shots and any changed
observations.

The only way to change the install location is by selecting Custom Install at
the appropriate point, and then looking at the dialog corner where the install
location can be changed.  Unfortunately, I have learned not to trust that
option because there were so many releases (not OO.o) that failed because the
code had dependencies that were messed up.

For Apache OpenOffice, this can change the directory in Program Files but I
don't think it will do much for application data in the User folder or the
Windows registry.  So the User Profile, the extension cache and probably other
things will be interfered with if there is an older OpenOffice.org 3.x.x that
the user wants to keep running.  (AOO 3.4 usurps the hidden Application
Data/OpenOffice/3/user/ ... subfolder.)

I think I'll focus on the file-association problem right now, because it is
something that appears to be clear-cut and easy to remedy.

 - Dennis

PS: I did reserve a MediaWiki HowTo page for Windows installation of the OO.o
3.3.0 patch, but did not find time for the amount of work it takes to account
for the differences between Windows XP and Windows Vista/7/8.  I suppose this
is a good place for details on Windows installation also.