http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#notes

The above lets you download an Ubuntu, Debian etc installation.

However, at least for Ubuntu there seems to be a problem.

I have a headless server.

I've downloaded the Linux x86-64 DEB
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

But that will only install onto a server with a Desktop unless I'm missing
some information.

Once downloaded I do the following:

tar xvfz
Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
which extracts everything to an ./en-US directory the en-US directory
contains several dozen .DEB files

dpkg -i  <all the .deb files>

that will emit errors concerning gui/desktop requirements so it appeared to
me that those can only be installed on a server with a desktop and NOT on a
headless machine.

Maybe I missed some documentation but I know you can start openoffice in
headless mode once its installed BUT in this case how can you install it on
a headless machine in the first place?