On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM, chengjh <chen...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We see,the old OpenOffice.org wiki
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page  has accumulated plenty
> of valuable information,including planning,function specification,technical
> documents and so on..Currently,the planning and project tracking parts have
> been moved to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home,that means a
> new start of the project.Because the two wikis are two different wiki
> software systems,moreover, there are existing different writing styles
> between them and writers need accounts for them respectively, it is not
> convenient for writers to write wiki articles when switching between
> them...So, I propose to create a new wiki for developers to record
> technical documents,technical review,proposals/ideas,function specification
> and design,and so on by sub-project categories, for example,we can move the

We actually already have a 3rd wiki, for developers:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home

Here is the history:

The MediaWiki instance was the legacy wiki, used by OpenOffce.org project

When the Apache project was create, we had two new wiki's created.
Remember at that time we had not yet migrated the MediaWiki over to
Apache, and it was not certain whether we would be able to do it.

The two new wikis were:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home    This
was the "community wiki" where anyone could create an account and edit
content.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home   This
wiki was restricted to committers.

The OOODEV wiki made it suitable for content that might make it into a
product release.  For example logos, draft help, etc.  If this was put
on an open wiki, where anyone would access it, then we'd need to do
much more work to track permissions if we wanted to move something
from the wiki into SVN for use in a release.  Having a wiki that was
only writable by committers ensure that the content is always under
ALv2.

If we want to go to a single wiki, I think we should resolve the
license issue.    And we should also encourage CTR by ensuring that
there is an email notification for changes.  We do that for CWiki
today.

-Rob