> Hi Ross, *,
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 07:58:25AM +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> I'm a little concerned about this idea of AOO being somehow different from
>> other Apache projects.
>
> I agree.
>
>> Its not, its just software. In Apache projects everyone is equal. If
>> someone earns merit they earn merit, it makes no difference how that
>> merit is earned.
>>
>> The issue here should not be a different class of contributor it
>> should be how to facilitate a different type of contribution and thus
>> bootstrap their involvement in the project. Please don't create an
>> artificial layer of hierarchy in order to do that. Hierarchy in an
>> open development project is bad.
>>
>> Note we have a VP who has never written a line of code in their life.
>> As far as I'm aware they have never written a translation string or
>> any documentation. Despite this there was no need to create a new
>> class of community member to bring them into the ASF.
>>
>> I propose the problem is in the workflow not in the structure of ASF
>> projects. If that is the case then we need to examine why
>> non-committer translators are unable to contribute efficiently. Find
>> out why our default policies say they need to be committees and
>> address that issue.
>>
>> For example, are contributions to Pootle any different to patches sent
>> via JIR# from an IP point of view? If not then there is no need for an
>> ICLA but there is a need for an audit trail.
>
> IMHO the issue is not in the Apache Way of doing things, but in how the
> Pootle server works (or was set up). The most clear example is the CMS:
> you can make modifications and send a patch from within the CMS without
> being a committer: http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#non-committer
> You log-in as anonymous user, but when mailing the diff you can identify
> yourself. Something similar could be implemented in pootle.

I would say Pootle has everything that is needed. We would only need a
mechanism to allow user registration as non committer, as possible for
bugzilla or the wiki.

More fine grained rights can we define and set per project in Pootle.
This way way we can make sure that in case of AOO registered users can
make suggestions. Other projects can handle it differently.

The "patch" mechanism here is to make suggestions as a known person.

Juergen