On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Yong Lin Ma <mayo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Symphony get a java wrapper. That needs more memory footprint.
> Symphony also needs more disk space due the java plug-ins and new
> templates, clip arts.
>
> There is no java wrapper for the build we are discussing here.

Thank you -- this was not clear to me...I didn't really understand the
reference to the java wrapper -- sorry.

I really was quite in agreement with Fernando's remarks on this thread, and
after seeing the additional information on the IBM site, I got  more
concerned.

> The
> memory it needs should in the same level of AOO or may be less due to
> some optimization we made.

Well this would be good news in the right direction!

> When Symphony was integrated in notes, we
> were pushed very hard to fix any increase on memory cost.
>
> Disk space also is not a problem. It quite depends on what we want
> packaged in it.

Good! I was thinking about this more also last evening. I was thinking that
maybe some of the current enhancements in Symphony could perhaps be
provided as extensions instead of directly integrated if that's possible.
I think many of our users are happy with the capabilities provided now and
don't really want extra features that consume more resources.

> Last but not the least, the recommended configuration for a software
> given by different people may also be different.

Well it would be interesting to see a further discussion on that as well.

> For more detail info about the contribution, please visit
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Symphony

 I did read through this but it was too much of a summary to provide much
detail. Thank you for it though. This is why I decided to find out more
client requirements from the IBM site.

Yes, we need to discuss in detail development considerations including
sustainability, design considerations, but, in the end, our clients are
what will ultimately determine success I think.

Thank you for this additional information.