On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Herbert Duerr <h...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18.06.2012 10:37, Ji Yan wrote:
>
>> According to build guide[1], gcc 4.2.3 is the current reference compiler
>> which means Linux build should be compiled against RedHat Enterprise
>> Linux(RHEL) 6 or SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop(SLED) 11. So I'm wondering
>> if we should drop OS support for RHEL5 and SLED 10?
>>
>> The fact is that AOO 3.4 release build is unable to be launched in neither
>> RHEL5 nor SLED 10. Should we update system requirement and installation
>> guide?
>>

> In my opinion we should try to run on  on RHEL5 or SLED10 unless there are
> new technical requirements which make running it not feasible anymore.
> AFAIK if we build the binaries on a suitable older platform (e.g. RHEL5 or
> Centos5 instead of e.g. Ubuntu 12.04) then the binaries should work almost
> anywhere as nowadays backward compatibility of Linux binaries is a widely
> shared goal.
>
> Herbert

I hope you are right, Herbert.

RHEL 3 is going out of "Extended Support" (EOL) in 2014
RHEL 4 is going out of "Extended Support" (EOL) in 2015
RHEL 5 is going out of "Extended Support" (EOL) in 2020
RHEL 6 is going out of "Extended Support" (EOL) in 2023
per https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

SLES 9 is going out of "Extended Support" (EOL) in 2014.
SLES 10 is going out of "Extended Support" (EOL) in 2016. (possibly 2019 if
this article is to be believed:
http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3930731/Novell+Extends+Linux+Support+Updates+SLES+10.htm
)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server#Version_history

Sources may be inaccurate and I may have interpreted them poorly.
These things are going to be around a long time yet.

-Wolf

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhal...@apache.org