On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arie...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 08:56:13AM +0800, zhangjf wrote:
>> > The code is so unbuildable on Fedora 17 64 bits with GCC 4.7 that
>> > I stopped on module sal.
>>
>> From it's build guide at http://s.apache.org/n0, you can find this statement,
>>
>> Symphony officially can be built on the following platforms
>> System        Architecture
>> Windows XP / 7        intel x86
>> Linux - Ubuntu 11.04  intel x86
>> Linux - Suse Enterprise Desktop 11    intel x86
>> Mac OS X - 10.5 / 10.6 / 10.7         intel x86
>>
>> And in section Build Symphony on Linux - Ubuntu, there is a line,
>>
>>   You can make a full build for Symphony with gcc 4.5 on Ubuntu 11.04
>

> I know, I already read it, before trying to build.
>
>> In fact, we don't know it's actual build status on other platforms or
>> with different build configurations.
>
> Well, at least it's rather broken on Fedora 17, that as usual has the
> latest standard libraries and compiler (RedHat is the main contributor in
> several of these projects).
>
>> You can try on these supported
>> platforms and configurations, so we can provide some kinds of support.
>
> No thanks, it is completely pointless: you already know it *does* work.
> The point here is that Apache Office code base is already buildable in
> a wide set of Linux distributions, from old CentOS 5 to latest Fedora.
>
> People pushing forward the idea of taking Symphony contribution as the
> new code base (and people trying to make up their mind about the
> subject) should take this into account (and this is the lightest
> objection I have against such an idea - but these objections belong to
> other thread).

You are right. Symphony code only supports limited build environments
yet. To make it align with AOO 3.4, we still need to migrate a few
more support code from AOO. But I think before the code base
discussion reaches a final decision,  we won't rush to take more
actions.