Hi,

On 04.07.2012 04:41, chengjh wrote:
Hi Dennis,I appreciate your questions,they are significant areas we have to
take carefully.Thanks.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org
wrote:

I have questions about the way that the improvements are intended to be
extensions to the ODF format.

I understand from what is said that improvements are introduced into the
ODF document in a way that they will be ignored by older implementations
and other implementations that are unaware of them.  The intention is to
map to and from .doc in a reliable manner.

  1. How are the extensions introduced such that conforming ODF consumers
will ignore them properly?  Will users be able to turn off the improvements
in order to produce conforming ODF documents?

a)That's a good question.Because current ODF formats on Track Changes are
limited,that means only limited capabilities are able to be supported. In
order to achieve our goal to improve the fidelity with MS Word, we have to
extend Track Changes ODF formats and propose to OASIS ODF to become
standard at the end.Thus,the compatibility with previous releases will be a
challenging job.Our strategy is that the current import/export code logic
on Track Changes will be kept to ensure the same supported change records
defined in ODF 1.1/1.2 as before in our improved solution.If
possible,the extended
parts will be implemented with another code logic,not mixed, to ensure
these parts will not be recognized by previous releases.

b)And also,it seems a good idea to provide an option item in
"Tools->Options...->Writer->Compatibility" to turn on/off the
improvements.Thanks.

This can be already handled in general.
As mentioned in my presentation at OOoCon 2010 (especially slide 14ff) [1] we already have the ODF format version field. On this field we can depend our (not yet in ODF available) features//enhancements/improvements/...

  2. Will ignoring the extensions result in an usable conforming ODF
document and will round-trip return to the producer of the extensions be
tolerable.  Should there be warning when an user makes changes that rely on
the improvements in a document that was not produced by an
improvement-aware implementation?

c) We should avoid to generate un-usable ODF document,otherwise,the design
should have problem..
d) I don't think it necessary to give warning message to end users when
saving changes records with our improvements..I think it better for an
application to enable a mechanism to provide warning message to end users
when identifying un-recognized info.

  3. How are the improvement extensions to the ODF format being made known
so that other consumers of ODF can support them either partially or
completely to provide a smoother experience in support of their users and
in providing interoperability?

e)Finally,our improvements on the ODF formats on Track Changes will be
proposed and taken as OASIS ODF standards.

In general I think we should align our change tracking enhancements with the work currently going on in the ODF TC regarding change tracking. The work in the ODF TC should more or less guide how we represent/express our change tracking enhancements in ODF.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~orw/210-209-1-PB.pdf

Best regards, Oliver.