Juergen,
  My comments below. Thanks!

- Simon

2012/7/11 Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>

> On 7/11/12 8:53 AM, Yong Lin Ma wrote:
> > This is a good topic.
> >
> > I prefer to having 2 major releases every year, like 3.x or 4.x.  and
> > there can be maintain releases like 3.x.x between major releases for
> > fixes of critical issues.
>
> that means a 6 month cycle for <minor> releases, correct?

Yes, I think there should be no less than 6 month cycle for <minor> release.

> > TLS is an valid idea. But we should not do that until we see tangible
> > requirments from users and we have enough contributors for that.  By
> > far, we should encourge users to upgrade to next major release.
>
> +1

also +1

>  For
> > example, we would not provide new 3.4.x release after 3.5 is out,
> > although that would be good for certain users. But not quite practical
> > for us.
>
> I am not sure and it depends on what goes in a 3.5.
>
> Well I see the benefit of an LTS version and the question is if we want
> support such a version for 2 years to give especially enterprise
> customers the ability to rely on our software.

As an open source project, I think the LTS can be more driven by customer
requirements. If many users stay in one release, and want some critical
defects to be fixes, but do not want to upgrade to the next major/minor
release, then we should consider to continue to maintain it. It is not
mandatory to have the micro release every 3 months if there is no critical
defects. e.g. let's create the 3.4.2 release project wiki, but if there is
no input for the critical fixes should be in 3.4.2, we can consider to
either postpone it, or cancel it if the next major/minor release is coming.
While, to run it well, we should ensure the smooth channel to get customer
feedback/requirements.