On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:30:26 -0400
Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:13:55 +0100
> > "James Loring" <jameslor...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Don't understand where I am supposed to pas my comments on to the software
> >> developers
> >>
> >> I have reloaded open office about 3 times in the last 24 hours as impress
> >> crashes every time I open a power point article and it fails to convert
> >> correctly, detail is missing. I was an old fan of open office but seem to
> >> be
> >> having nothing right with impress, I am not impressed.
> >>
> >> I am running windows xp with all service packs and MS office 2003
> >>
> > Is this the one powerpoint file, or all?  Remember that the file formats of
> > MS Office have been reverse engineered and the conversion may not be fully
> > correct or complete.  It is worth trying to delete or rename your User
> > Profile.  Details on this are at
> > http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
> >
> > It is not generally understood, but un/re-installing of OpenOffice does not
> > in general make a new User Profile; it picks up the existing profile.  It
> > can happen that the initial profile generated is corrupt; deleting or
> > renaming it (as outlined in above url) causes OpenOffice to generate a new
> > profile on next startup; this cures a very high percentage of OpenOffice
> > quirks.
> > --
>
> Since this seems to be such a common "solution", I wonder if we should
> add this directly to the product?  Something like a Help menu item, or
> Help/Support menu for "reset profile on restart" or something like
> that.   We don't want to make it so prominent that someone clicks it
> by accident.  But it would allow us to better support users if we
> could point them to this menu option instead of scary command-line
> instructions.
>
> -Rob

As the User Profile is actually open when OpenOffice is in use, such a
"solution" might need to be an external tool of some sort.  It would be good if
such a "solution" renamed the profile rather than deleting it.  As the profile
contains all User customisation, it would be bad to zap that beyond recovery.
A renamed profile would allow a reasonably competent user to bring forward his
customisation from the old to the new profile on an item by item basis.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>