On 20 July 2012 22:22, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> I've seen the comment about SCMs being sufficient for tracing the provenance
> of code and the changes that are made.  That puzzles me.
>
>  - History doesn't appear in source-code tarballs.
>  - It requires the original SCM repository or a history-preserving port of
> the SCN to be available to interested parties.
>
> Basically, it is not a durable form of the information.

Indeed, especially since SVN log messages are not versioned.

I think log messages should only be used to inform the reader of the
commit message why the commit was done.
They should not be used for comments that are useful / necessary to
the reader of the code; those should be included as comments in the
code itself.
[Though of course such comments can go in the log message as well.]

However, does the end user of the source need to know provenance and history?

> Just sayin' ...

DItto.