On 21/07/12 11:47, tj wrote:
Although used by AOO, Hunspell is not an Apache product. Google is your friend. --/tj/

On 7/20/2012 21:42, Sahand.T wrote:
Hi

I'm about to create a wordlist and am considering including
abbreviations in the wordlist. Before I do that I need to know how
hunspell deals with dots (.) in the wordlist. Are dots even allowed in
the wordlist for hunspell? If so, can I even write an abbreviation
like "O.K." with a dot after the final letter and have hunspell
correct "O.K" to "O.K."?

I tried this:

-------------------------

$ test.dic
1
O.K.

$ test.txt
O.K
O.K.

$ analyze test.aff test.dic test.txt
O.K
Unknown word.
O.K.

-------------------------

The "O.K" Turned up as an unknown word and the "O.K." (with dot in
end) didn't show anything at all. What does that mean?

If I change the OK in the dic file to "O.K" (without final dot)
everything is fine:

-------------------------

$ test.dic
1
O.K

$ analyze test.aff test.dic test.txt
O.K
analyze(O.K) =  st:O.K
stem(O.K) = O.K
O.K.
analyze(O.K.) =  st:O.K
analyze(O.K.) =  st:O.K
stem(O.K.) = O.K

The problem here is that it doesn't correct "O.K" to "O.K." which is
what I want.

Thanks

/S.Taher

I don't think that O.K. would be the correct form, usually it is written OK on its own. The full stop after the O and the K would imply that the O and the K are the first letters of words starting with O and K respectively, but OK is actually shorthand for 'okay', which is a single word. There is a theory that OK was originally an abbreviation of the purposely misspelled (for comic effect) Oll Korrect. That might or might not be true, but either way I believe the correct modern usage to be OK with no full stops.

Dave.