On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Armin Le Grand <armin.le.gr...@me.com> wrote:
> Hi Rory,
>
> Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
> [..]
>>
>> Armin: as far as I remember, Windows will remove any previously loaded
>> DLL files from memory after about 10 minutes of un-use.
>>

> This would mean that it gets slower again after some time. I just did not
> use AOO, but worked on something else ca. 1 1/2 Hrs after rebooting.
> Nonetheless AOO started (doubleclicking the test document, no quickstarter,
> last used after reboot) instantly. There must be some least-recently-used
> thingy involved, I doubt that all dlls get kicked out after 10 min. Well,
> may depend on mem available and other things, though...
> I could not see it getting slower after 1 1/2 hours. If someone else has
> seen this (without quickstarter, on Win) please comment here.

Also keep in mind the impact of multi-core.  In theory multi-core
systems should be less slow at system start, since it could run the
AOO quickstart task in parallel with other start up tasks. However,
without quick start, the normal startup of AOO does not take advantage
of multi-core.  So I'd expect a greater performance boast with modern
hardware.

But from user's perspective, I think the benefit depends on whether
AOO is a key tool that they use several times a day, every day.  Or
whether it is something they use only occasionally.