Hi,

imacat found a problem with the base application icon on windows.

I can verify this issue with the latest version based on r1367911 when I
do a clean fresh installation, no upgrade. If you run an upgrade
installation you don't see this problem and the icon is ok.

You have the answer to the question I asked imacat just now.

BTW - did you notice that the Draw icon was also missing in her screenshot?

no, I haven't noticed this, I was focused on the base icon ;-)

and I know why I haven't noticed it, I have checked it again on my
Windows machine and the only icon that is missing is that from Base ;-)

I hate such problems...

I am still have no real idea what going wrong and I am rebuilding
currently the same version to ensure that it is no build problem (but I
hope it is :-)).

As I mentioned earlier when you watch the properties, you will see the
correct icon. When you now click on change icon and double click the
icon (which is the only available icon in sbase.exe) and apply the
change everything is ok in the Start Menu.

Even a restart of windows after the installation won't help.

I am no expert but I would guess that the icon in the Start Menu is
extracted from the exe where it seems to be ok.

     Thanks, Jürgen.  I think this issue is serious in that:  It drew my
attention not from the inside of the start menu, but from the recent
applications shortcuts of the start menu.  See the attached picture.
Windows 7 puts the first shortcut of the most recent installed
application, at the recent application shortcuts of the start menu.  It
is very large and obvious when user wants to run anything in Windows 7.

     A detaled explanation of my case: I first upgraded from 3.4.0 to
3.4.1, and found this problem (alone with Draw).  Then I removed the
previous version and did a clean install, and this problem still exists
(alone with Draw).

     I layed the icons a bit.  It seems that the Base shortcut only have
problem when the icon is read from sbase.exe.  The shortcut icon of
Base.lnk is fine if it is from scalc.exe, sdraw.exe or anything else.
The same goes for Draw.lnk:  It only has problem when points to
sdraw.exe, but not the others (sbase.exe, smath.exe, etc.)  Any other
shortcuts (even those created by hand) work fine for both sbase.exe and
sdraw.exe.

     So I suppose the problem lies in the shortcut files Base.lnk and
Draw.lnk.  How do we create these two files?  Shall we create them again?

I did the following:
- Window7 Professional, OOo 3.3 installed.
--> install AOO 3.4.1, r1367911
--> icons are visible

- Window7 Home Premium in VM, clean installation.
--> install AOO 3.4.1, r1367911
--> icons are visible

Thus, I can not reproduce the "missing icon" defect in the above scenarios.

I will perform the following use case:
- Windows7 Home Premium in VM, clean installation.
- install AOO 3.4
--> install AOO 3.4.1, r1367911

Also, in this scenario the icons are visible after the installation of AOO 3.4.1, r1367911. There was no need to clear the Windows icon cache.

Best regards, Oliver.