On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/02/2012 07:45 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> yes, this is correct, and you are right about this too...some of the 404s
>>> reference pages we probably NEVER had.

>>> ah...yes, they are there...the problem is we would need to construct a
>>> LOT
>>> of just "redirect" pages to right some of these since they all seem to
>>> have
>>> the form
>>>
>>> "/security/cvs-bulletin-number".html
>>>

>> So let's take a specific example.
>>
>> Google is reporting a 404 error for this URL:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin-20060629.html
>>
>> It is linked to from from at least 10 external web pages, for example
>> the last link in this table:
>>

>> http://www.ccip.govt.nz/vulnerability-alerts/archives/2006/AlertArchive0607.html
>>
>> (Whoops, make that at least 12 links, since the Apache and MarkMail
>> list archives will now link to this)
>>
>> There is no file of this name in
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/security/
>>
>> Looking at the svn log I don't see any record of the files ever being
>> here.
>>
>> I searched the complete ooo-site tree and this file
>> (bulletin-20060629.html) doesn't exist anywhere.
>>
>> The Wayback Machine shows the page did exist in 2006:
>>

>> http://web.archive.org/web/20060703040511/http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin-20060629.html
>>
>> But it was broken already by 2009:
>>

>> http://web.archive.org/web/20091006090657/http://www.openoffice.org/security/bulletin-20060629.html
>>
>> So this is a pre-existing problem, and nothing we can do about it.
>>
>> Ughh.   Obviously we cannot do this kind of research for every one of
>> the 64 thousand links.
>>
>> But in other cases we can help.  For example this link is giving 404
>> error:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/lgpl_license.html
>>
>> I think we removed that intentionally, since that is no longer our
>> license.  However, that link was used by many other websites,
>> including university course materials looking at open source licenses,
>> etc.:   http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~bylander/cs1023/chapter8links.html
>>
>> So in cases like this we might want to restore the page.  Do our part
>> to help prevent bit rot and entropy from destroying the web.
>

> Well this particular one I really AM not in favor of restoring to our site.
> What we could do on this one, is put in a page with just a redirect to where
> the actual license lives. (and yes, this is really one of the most critical
> ones in my opinion)

That would be fine, a page at that URL that says our license has
changed, and that the LGPL van be found at the Free Software
Foundation website, and link to that.  Everyone's happy then.

>> But to put it in perspective, although we have 64 thousand 404 errors
>> on our website, we also have nearly 16 million incoming links that do
>> not give errors.
>

> Well that's a relief eh? :)
>
> OK, I will have another look at this. At any rate, we absolutely should put
> in place a generic "error.html" and have infra reconfigure
> www.openoffice.org with THAT as our 404. That way we can assist folks in
> dealing with link problems.

The nice thing about a custom error page is we can put also put Google
custom search box there, to let the user do a site-wide search to try
to find their answer that way.

-Rob