On Aug 14, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 14/08/2012 RGB ES wrote:
>> 2012/8/14 RGB ES:
>>> Good! But I'm finding a weird behaviour on the forums... If I enter on
>>> the old url
>>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/
>>> I'm NOT redirected. If I open bot, the new and the old address and
>>> log-in in the new, in the old one I'm still logged off
>
> I would consider this to be normal behavior. Authentication is probably
> managed through a cookie that is sent back to the originating site (the
> originating subdomain) only. So user.services.openoffice.org has no way to
> know that you are logged in at forum.openoffice.org, unless we completely
> rewrite all URLs in the form user.services.openoffice.org/SOMETHING to
> forum.openoffice.org/SOMETHING .
>
>> Not only confusing, but also problematic: if you log-in on the new
>> address and then click on an old link that cross reference to another
>> post you'll arrive to a page on which you are not logged in any
>> more!
>
> If we have hardcoded links that are not rewritten (i.e., if pages on
> forum.openoffice.org contain "internal" links that reference
> user.services.openoffice.org explicitly), then it would be better to use an
> "external" redirect as explained above.

Currently both user.services.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org are
directed to the same IP by DNS.

Also wiki.services.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org are directed to the
same IP by DNS.

What is different is that for the wiki the Apache Traffic Server is in front
and it does do the necessary redirection to wiki.openoffice.org.

Should we do something similar for the user forums?

Regards,
Dave