On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies to the Apache Infra team, the load caused by implementing
> INFRA-5112 caused trouble.
>
> The changes to update*.services.openoffice.org to point to www.openoffice.org
> was reverted.
>
> This was due to added load on the Apache Infrastructure.

Can you be specific?  Are they seeing unusual load from the change?
or are they just not willing to make the change unless we first
provide them an estimate?

If you recall, we made this change for OOo 3.3.0, OOo 3.2.1 and OOo
3.2.0 already, and we never provided any estimates.  I don't think we
received any complaints about those.   Have you heard any load
concerns?

In any case, the general trend we see for the upgrades that are
enabled is around 40,000/day.    But there was a peak of around
60,000/day for a couple of weeks when they were first enabled.    That
is the number who have actually updated.  We don't know what % of
users dismiss the update notification but don't disable it, and so
receive such a notification every week.  I assume this is small.

Also, generally, we have diminishing numbers as we go back to older
versions.  For example, we've seen around 8K/day for US/Windows/3.3.0
upgrades, but only around 1K/day for OOo 3.2.1 upgrades, and around
500/day for OOo 3.2.0 upgrades.  So this would suggest that enabling
the older versions will pick up a few, but I wouldn't expect huge
numbers.

> Before we can proceed with INFRA-5112 and INFRA-5144 we absolutely must have
> some estimates about the volume of requests that will be received.

Hopefully the above helps.

-Rob