On 17/08/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
to graduate.

I agree it would be good to do so, since it will automatically reduce complex and unclear terminology ("incubator", "podling") that has been misused outside the project and it will make governance easier.

I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:
1) Optional Community vote [3]
2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
4) Approval by the ASF Board.

If the Charter needs to contain complex statements about scope and mission of the project, it will take some time (but this is not the case, if I understand the the examples correctly).

It also seems, from the links, that the project will need to elect a chair, and this would be quite time-consuming too.

So I wouldn't be sure that we can have everything ready by the September Board meeting.

I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
graduate.

I agree. If we have consensus that we are ready to graduate, let's start with a formal vote about it, and then proceed step by step with the process.

Regards,
  Andrea.