On 30 August 2012 09:57, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> KG01 - see comments inline.
>
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm organising the Open clipart library into categories. We could use
>> this then as a useful resource to complement AOO.
>
> KG01 - This adds a lot of value. Ideally we could aim to align the
> information architecture for the categorization. This would allow users to
> leverage the existing knowledge when browse in each library.
>
>> Any thoughts about
>> the best way to implement making the categorised library available to
>> the community?
>
> KG01 - it would be great to explore ways to make the open clip art more
> accessible/discoverable within AoO clipart view. Some social integration
> could enable pulling clipart into editors, or pushing an image from an editor
> to the open library.
>
> While we could create a plug-in, it would be a better unified ux if we
> integrate open clip art and local clipart in one UI.

At present I'm just going through all the folders from OpenClipart.org
and putting them into arbitrary folders labelled Animals, People,
Transport, Food etc. This is because each contributor simply puts
often unconnected files in a folder so images on OpenClipart.org are
grouped by author not type (unless I'm missiong something :-) ). While
there are some aggregations and an on-line indexing system on the
OpenClipart.org site I haven't found it particularly easy to find
things. It seems easier to me to have a folder called eg Animals  with
sub folders for birds, insects, mammals, perhaps with subdivisions of
cartoon and realistic in each. There are png and svg versions of each
image. Ideally we'll get import of svg to AOO so that these can be
edited or resaved in odg or odg will develop to be fully svg compliant
but I guess that is further down the development road. Once we have
the categories established they could be embedded in the AOO gallery
system and anyone wanting to could add to the library to complement
missing items. Probably helpful for the OpenClipArt project too. There
really are masses of images to sort through but a lot of duplicates -
millions of pencils and pens :-) This is why a visual search of a
folder called pens is probably going to be more successful than trying
to search for key words.

So at the moment I propose to plough on sorting the images and
hopefully when they are done someone (perhaps you kevin :-) ) Who
knows more about how the UX can work with the imagescan help make it
easy to integrate into the gallery.

--
Ian