On 09/18/2012 03:23 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
On 9/18/2012 15:34, Kay Schenk wrote:

On 09/18/2012 04:26 AM, TJ Frazier wrote:
On 9/17/2012 18:22, Kay Schenk wrote:
Just a quick question since we're discussing documentation lately.

I'm looking at:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Contribute

Are we still OK with this information?

(from navigation: http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/ ->
contributing link)

I will be making a few changes to fix some broken links etc and just
thought I'd ask

Hi, Kay,

AFAIK, the info there is mostly valid. There are some product names to
be changed a little; I would have done that, but maybe you work like I
do: having some little stuff to fix helps me to concentrate on the rest
of the text.

There are some things, like the lack of mentoring, which I wish weren't
valid, but fixing those is a much bigger problem.

HTH,
/tj/

TJ--

Thanks for the feedback. I also see that using the wiki to contribute
isn't really mentioned except for the Developer Guides. So...I will
probably add something about that. Also, I'm not sure about suggesting
direct contribution to Developer Guides. Maybe someone else can comment
about that.

On that section regarding "lack of mentoring", etc. Would it be better
to just delete this?

I sure wish we /could/ but we can't. While moderating the OO.o doc ML in
its dying days, I got about one volunteer per week, like this: "I just
love OpenOffice! I've done some writing in school, and I have some free
time. How can I help?" The brutally honest answer, at the moment, is
"You can't. Most of the what-to-do info is available on the wiki and at
the ODFA site, but you are not enough of a self-starter to have read it.
We have no hands available for hand-holding, sorry." (Please note that I
would hate having to say this.)

oh, I see...

Vagrant thought: maybe we (whatever doc project AOO puts together) could
recruit some "volunteer coordinators", i.e., hand-holders. They wouldn't
have to be writers themselves; literary criticism /is/ available through
the review process. They would have to learn the system, and where
everything is, and enjoy guiding fledglings. It's a "people" job, for
"people" people. IIUC, this is part of the work for editors and
editorial assistants, at publishing houses.

Yes, this is indeed a good idea. Someone with good MediaWiki skills who understands the architecture/setup in the Documentation area. Maybe someone will step up.

We need to all work together to maintain all these areas. Any help is
greatly appreciated to maintain information.

I don't really do any writing (only one page in the Basic Guide). My
help is limited to proofreading, light copy-editing, and technical
(wiki-tech) assistance. I'm not much use at maintaining the information
itself.

Thank you very much for taking an interest.

/tj/

MzK

"We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly
 being filled.  The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and
 let the beautiful stuff out."
                         -- Ray Bradbury, "Zen in the Art of Writing"