Sylvain,

On 12-09-24, at 12:08 , Sylvain DENIS <sylvain.tech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am not a developer but user and representative Apache OpenOffice Belgium. I
> defend Apache OpenOffice in education in Belgium (french).
> I will at FOSDEM. This is an opportunity to meet and discuss even if my
> English is approximate.

Votre anglais c'est mieux que mon français, je pense :-) but how's your
Flemish? :-)

I know and am friendly with Nicolas Pettiaux, of Uni. Libre de Bruxelles, who
used to be with Open@Work and was (and remains, I hope) a strong proponent of
ODF, open standards, and OpenOffice.

At the time we had our substantive discussions, back in 2008, I think, but
maybe later, the issue of education and OO and ODF was crucial. My argument was
and is that ODF and OO should be used and taught (coding) in post-secondary
schools, but also used generally at all grades.

But little has happened. (Of course, this is also true of much bureaucratic
movement in Belgium.) Still, I remain hopeful, especially as the issue of ODF
in Belgium and in the EU at large is increasingly important and recognized as
not only a vehicle for democratic goodness but also economic sanity.

I, at least, look forward to your kind help and contribution and hope we can
make this event a really great event!

ciao
louis