Hello All,

To me, Rob's quote is about achieving a flow state, where we can just do
perform, without worrying about mechanics. Great goal.

As a designer of software, I realize our work is never done. We will either
add something new, enhance some existing stuff, fix some broken stuff, and
in some cases, take old stuff out.

I really like to identify opportunities for improvement, capture them in a
some-day-maybe list (a.k.a. opportunity backlog). Identifying open design
issues occurs all the time: while working in the tools, while performing
user testing, while sharing thoughts and ideas with others in the community.

I find it difficult to achieve flow with regards to capturing these
identifying opportunities for improvement due to the current process. For
example, I'd like to be able to easily and quickly capture my thoughts on
ideas on things we could improve the tool. My preference would be to
capture them in Bugzilla, and tag them appropriately. If I can maintain
this flow, then I can capture many of my thoughts, rather than keep a list
on my local system that will never get realized. I'm not suggesting that
all the opportunities will be implemented, rather, I would like to have a
backlog of open opportunities or design issues that I could query, and then
investigate via a proper collaboration in the community. If the ideas
reasonate, then would could move forward and work as a community to move
into plan. The current model of having to fully vet ever thought or idea in
the community before capturing a work item kills the flow, and is subject
to community judgement. At this phase, there are no wrong answers. Here
lies an opportunity for process improvement in my opinion.

I will capture my thoughts in the wiki.

Regards,
Kevin