On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM, jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we want to have the same logo all over, respin I assume would not do the
> job ?

Sorry for the slang.   By "respin" I meant taking whatever vector
source file (SVG, perhaps) that Drew used for that button originally,
and then remove the "incubator" block and regenerate a bitmap for us
to put on the website.

It was intentional, at least at the time, for the "Get it here!"
graphic to be distinct from the official project logo.  This was to
avoid diluting the trademark.  We wanted the official project logo to
be associated with the official website.  So if users saw it they knew
they were dealing with an official project site.   We would then have
thematically-related logos that could be used for various affiliate
uses, such as on personal websites.  That was the purpose of the "Get
it here!" logo.

But that was then, this is now.   As I understand it now, ASF policy
has evolved in this area, and it appears permissible for websites to
use logo, provided they follow these rules:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#integrateswith

But IMHO, the "Get it here!" button is still useful, since its size
and aspect ratio, as well as the beveling, make it ideal for a
download button.

-Rob