I wanted to confirm some thinking I've been having recently.  Please
let me know if any of this sounds plausible or even useful.

The problem I'm trying to solve is how to make OpenOffice better
connected with the online tools that we all use today, from DropBox to
Drupal, Twitter to Facebook, Sharepoint to SAP.   We do have a few
extensions in these areas.  That is good.  But I'm wondering if there
are some things we can do in the API to make these kinds of extensions
much easier.

The key observation is that there is a set of protocols and formats
that have emerged as the basic foundation of connecting with these
kinds of apps.  HTTP/XML at the base, but also on top things like RSS,
Atom, OData, OAuth, OpenID, OpenSocial, CMIS, etc.

What if we made available in our SDK, access to a cross-platform
library that provided these capabilities without any extra coding
required?  Where needed, provide integration with native credential
stores, etc.  So the SDK does all the heavy lifting.  The extension
authors can then focus on things at a higher level.

In other words, make socially-connected OpenOffice apps be in the
reach of every app developers, rather than requiring a protocol
expert.

I'd be interested in hearing from extension authors on whether such a
capability would be useful.  And how useful?