Hi Rob,

Rob Weir schrieb:
As you have probably noticed, I'm engaged in a variety of initiatives
to grow the community, bring in more volunteers, etc.  One additional
piece that I think would be useful is to add a new field to Bugzilla
to indicate the difficulty level of the bug.  Of course, this will
often not be known.  But in some cases, we do know, and where we do
know we can indicate this.

What this allows us to do is then have search filters that return only
open easy bugs.  These are ideal for new developer volunteers on the
project who are looking for items that match their lesser familiarity
with the code.  It also allows a developer to step up to more
challenging bugs over time.

A similar approach, which they called "easy hacks", was successfully
used by LibreOffice.

If there are no objections, I'll add a new field to Bugzilla called
"cf_difficulty_level", and which a drop down UI with the following
choices:

UNKNOWN (default)
TRIVIAL
EASY
MODERATE
HARD
WIZARD

WIZARD is used in AOO UI in the meaning of 'assistant' or step by step workflow. Therefore it might be not understood here. I need to look up other meanings in a dictionary. I would drop it. HARD as highest step is sufficient.

TRIVIAL sounds devaluating to me. Perhaps BEGINNER or STARTER is more neutral? Being able to start is not only a question, whether the task is easy or not from an objective point of view. Beyond that a mentor is needed. Perhaps a category MENTORED instead of TRIVIAL is useful. A senior developer would set it (and put himself in CC) if he is willing to guide a newcomer.

(I'm certainly open to variations on the names)

I'd then rely on other developers to help "seed" the database with
some TRIVIAL and EASY bugs, so new volunteers will have something to
work with as they familiarize themselves with the project.

I'll wait 72 hours, etc.

In general I thing it is a good idea. Using Bugzilla has the advantage, that it is not necessary to hold a Wiki page in sync with Bugzilla.

Kind regards
Regina