On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi
> Every now and then a user finds the experience of downloading, installing,
> using AOO disappointing and frankly frustrating if not worse. They will
> usually go to the user forums, but sometimes they will contact the Apache
> Foundation directly. Okay, but this does not really help them.
>
> What we did with OpenOffice was set up a Support page, which has since been
> moved to here, http://www.openoffice.org/support/. It's pretty much an
> improved version of the old but of course the "ecosystem" needs further
> fleshing out—it suffers from a lack of substantial existence.
>
> I'm also not persuaded that the route to it from either the application
> download page or homepage or wherever is redundantly clear enough for the
> befuddled enduser who installs AOO to replace his or her whatever suite and
> doesn't really know where to go…..
>
> So, my query is the usual impossible question: What can we do to make it
> clearer to the puzzled and frustrated how to get help? Sure, we can have a
> knowledge base (kb), FAQ, etc., and also enthusiastic community members.
>
> But what would you suggest as a path, or paths for the user? I personally
> would include something in the installation sets that point to the support
> page above; but also banners, say, or tags, stickers—glaringly obvious neon
> coloured blinking lights?—to relay users to useful pages.
>
> Ideas?

I can't think of anything less confusing than a prominent link on our
home page saying "I need help with my OpenOffice".

The "befuddled" users who end up in other places might in some cases
be crazy like a fox.  They know the tricks to get one-on-one
attention. They are the ones who know how to press *0 on the phone to
get a real human.  They know the secret support number for Amazon
customer service, etc.

That said, it might make sense to give new users some tips and do this
repeatedly, since a since mention will not sink in.   We have a few
opportunities:

1) While downloading

2) While installing

3) Immediately after installing

4) A "start up tips" dialog that could display a new tip every day or week

5) A "new user" email autoresponder that users could sign up for to
get a helpful tips for their first X weeks using AOO.

6) Similar information sent to announce list

7) Maybe make the FAQ's directly linked from the home page

Obviously one of the hints could include a hint about support.

Of course, the real question, Louis, is what do *you* want to do?

-Rob