On 10/17/2012 9:51 AM, David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "James Knott" <james.kn...@rogers.com>

Fernando Cassia wrote:
So if you edit a PDF file with a nice table and change one value, the other values are not updated accordingly by the viewer, as the pdf reader has no
idea whatsoever of what a spreadsheet is.

When you read a book, how often do you change the contents? If you are publishing something, the content is generally fixed. PDF is quite useful for that. There are some situations, where the structure must also be retained, where epub is not suitable. I have read some technical books in epub that left me wondering where something was. The same book in PDF is laid out exactly as the paper version would be.

That's why PDF is a "published" format and not an "editable" format.

True! But that is no reason to do away with it. People DO PUBLISH. Of course, the original documents must be maintained in some other editable format. I maintain my books in ODT format, but when I'm ready to publish, I export to PDF and I wouldn't want anyone to take that ability away from me.

--
Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03