On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:07 AM, Rick McGuire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We're getting a lot of different switches and options on the test runner.  I
> wonder if we should do something like maven does with different options.
> Maven uses the java convention of -Dname=value to define different switches,

Yeah that's a good idea.  I already store the option values in a
directory after the command line is parsed, I'd just need to set that
into the .environment so it is available to the test groups.

The current -<single char> options all have a corresponding
--<string>=value I just haven't implement all the --<string> options.

The other thing I intended to do was use a properties file so you
could store the most common options and not have to type them on the
command line.  Command line options would over-ride options stored in
the properties file.  I figured I would get to that when I got tired
of typing on the command line.  But, I haven't had the urgent need to
do it yet.

Anyhow, obviously any name=value option could be stored in the
properties file and added to the directory.

> then the defined variables are made available within the build system.  We
> could use a similar convention and construct a directory that's stored in
> the environment to hold all of the different options.  Then different sorts
> of tests can just do
>
>    .if testopts~quickTests == "true" then ....
>
> This allows any test group to define private option switches (or even test
> the value of option switches at any time).

Yes, it could definitely be useful.