On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 8:57 AM, CVBruce <cvbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's got to be something like that.
> When I build the x86_64 architecture, rexximage hung.
> The ppc buss erred.
> I deleted my /opt/ooRexx installation, which was i386, and stopped the rxapi
> server/service, and I think that was the problem.  Look I know have a ppc
> executable:

Excellent.  You're making great progress.

This is what happens on Windows.  When the build starts, rxapi is
killed.  When rexximage executes, it uses rxapi, starting it if it is
not running.  On Windows, if rxapi is installed as a service, that
rxapi gets started rather than the one just built.  This will cause
problems if the installed rxapi is not similar enough to the new
rxapi.  For instance if the installed rxapi is 32-bit and the new
rxapi is 64-bit.  Or, if the installed rxapi is 3.2.0 and the new
rxapi is 4.0.0.

Rick avoids this problem altogether by never installing the ooRexx
package on Windows.  I get around it by recognizing the symptoms,
temporarily making a change so the old rxapi can not run, and redoing
the build.  Both Rick and I think our respective method is the best.
<grin>

On the unix-like build, I'm not sure that we even try to kill a
running rxapi process.  So, if you have a 32-bit ooRexx installed and
running on the system and try to build a 64-bit ooRexx, you will have
a problem.