Not ever having dealt with Puppy Linux I am really surprised. All modern Linux file systems support extended attributes since a late version of the 2.4 kernel. That was over 5 years ago. Even the Mac supports extended attributes.

They are all available in ext2, ext3, ext4, RiserFS, btrfs, and a few others. The APIs should be standard on all Linux versions.

David Ashley