> [Aside: I would argue that the reliance of language designers on simple
> LALR parsers, etc., has significantly affected the development of
> languages.   It has made them easier for computers to process but harder
> for people to use.  I think that's backwards :-).]
>
> Mike

I agree, but even this message is a hard sell. At the JVM Languages Symposium
in 2007 the grammar people (Antlr - Terry) and some others were in a
discussion, focusing on Ruby, that 'unexperienced' language designers produce
hard to parse languages. Some evidence that was brought in this discussion is
that after FORTRAN, languages tended to be more regular and easier to parse
(using generated code based on a grammar).

This problem goes deeper when one realises that the grammar for more 'regular'
languages is actually easier on people. Maybe it is time you focus on a better
parser generator for people to use? When there is nothing else to do, I mean ;-)

best regards,

René.