On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Rony G. Flatscher
<rony.flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:

> if possible, put the explaining text into a help popup or into a tooltip as
> this would allow for using more of the dialog's real-estate,

Hi Rony

I would like to put all the file association controls on one page.
The problems with that are these:

* There is no way to have tool tips.

* Popping up message boxes is against Microsoft's design guidelines
for Wizards and installation Wizards.  Microsoft specifically says in
their guidelines to put the explanatory text on the pages.  Presumably
Microsoft's user interface research is more comprehensive than mine.

* NSIS is a very limited environment to work in.  There are no tool
tips.  There is no WYISWYG dialog editor to lay out the controls.
Moving controls around involves guessing where to put them, compiling
the installer, doing an uninstall / install cycle to see where the
controls actually, repeat endlessly.

To get all the controls on one page, I suspect is either not possible,
or only possible with minimal labeling, or only possible by having a
very cramped looking page that is not aesthetic to *my* eyes.  In
other words, I suspect that if I spent the considerable amount of time
doing it, I would end up going back to two pages.

The bottom line is, although I would prefer all the controls on one
page, it would be hard to do.  "Being hard to do" is in my mind no
excuse for not doing something.  <grin>  But in this case I don't
think I have the time to do it for this release.

> in the case that an upgrade is possible, because the new installer is used,
> then by default that option should be checked (check-box "Perform an upgrade
> type of install") as probably most people who merely wish to upgrade the
> ooRexx interpreter would want to leave all setup options the same.

I would also prefer it to be checked.  I would like to get some feed
back from others that use the installer during the beta.  I'll solicit
opinions if they are not offered up during the beta period.  It is an
easy change to make.

> in the case that an installation was done without having (all) file
> associations created, then, if on a new install the "Create Windows file
> associations" is checked, then the unchecked file-associations ("rexx.exe",
> "rexxhide.exe", "rexxpaws.exe") having empty/missingĀ  "Extension" and "File
> type name" entries should have the original values filled-in as defaults
> that can be overriden by the user. Alternatively the help/tooltip could
> inform the user what the ooRexx developer's default values would be, such
> that the user can use those.

The defaults values are listed on the applicable page for each of the
executables.  I listed them for exactly this reason, so that people
would know what the suggested defaults are.

> Finally a question ad mimetype definition for Rexx programs: shouldn't the
> installer also set up a mimetype for Rexx programs? Either
> "application/x-rexx" or "text/x-rexx" or the like?

This is something I'm not much interested in.  You should bring this
up separately.  You need to either get a consensus from the
developers, or the users, that this is something that *should* be
done.   I have no objection to it, and would implement it, if I felt
it was something the users, or the developers, really wanted.